My mom used to make this Russian/Ukrainian traditional dish when I was little. It brings me so many great childhood memories when I make it and eat it. Although the ingredients are simple, but the combinations of them makes the dish hearty and delicious.
- First of all, prepare the meat. It needs to be thawed (not frozen), rinse it thoroughly with cold water, then remove all the muscles from meat. Cut the meat into small cubes.
- Saute meat until its golden color and still moist. Transfer it to the medium pot (in which you going to cook your stew).
- Peel the carrots,onions and garlic.
- Grate the carrots using coarse grater. Cut potatoes in medium cubes. Potatoes should not be too small.
- Then finely chop onions.
- When all the ingredients ready to use. Melt on the medium heat 2 tablespoons of butter (or ghee, coconut oil) in saute pan.
- Add shredded carrots to the pan and saute for a minute or two. Than add it to the medium pot with potatoes.
- Melt another 2 tablespoons of butter (or ghee, coconut oil) in the pan and add finely chopped onions and saute until the onions are translucent. Add it to the pot.
- Finely chop the cabbage and add it to the pot. Also add the chicken stock.
- Mix it all the ingredients together in the pot and cover it on medium-high heat for couple minutes until it will start boiling. Add the rest of the ingredients like peppercorns, salt, minced garlic and bay leaf. Mix it well again, cover it. And let it cook on low heat for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Check once or twice and mix it. Make sure there is in of chicken stock.
- When it’s ready, mix it well. You can decorate it with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley. It’s ready to serve.
Tip: If you have leftovers for the next day. Just add little more chicken stock and reheat.