Today is cloudy day and it’s just calling for soup like this. Especially that I had all the ingredients for it. Especially with my favorite ingredient which is dried shiitake mushrooms which I soaked in 3 cups of hot water for 10 minutes. I also added the water in which mushrooms we’re soaking in to the soup It came out to taste so delicious and hearty and flavorful.
- 4 large chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat/coconut oil/ or grass fed butter
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cup dried mushrooms, soaked in water until soft, sliced/ or fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 bunch kale, sliced into thin strips
- 1 inch fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- juice from 1 lime
Heat the bacon fat oil on medium-high in a medium sauce pan. Add you chicken and sauté until it turns white but is not fully cooked through, about 2 – 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper for a little added flavor.
Add the coconut milk, water and broth and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and add the rest of your ingredients, except the kale (this goes in at the very end, just before serving). Cover and let this cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the lid and add your kale, letting it steam and get tender in the broth, about 1 minute.
Remove from heat and serve. Top with your choice of garnish, cilantro or basil.